Welcome to A STRAY LIFE, a website chronicling the adventures of myself, Danny Strayer. As an avid hiker, this site documents my travels as I stray off the beaten path.
Born and raised in Michigan, I left my home state following university to work as a civil engineer in Wisconsin. After five years I’d grown tired of the office life and was ready for a change. And so I quit my job, bid farewell to Wisconsin, and never looked back. Since then I have traveled the world from South Africa to New Zealand, hiking across countries, working seasonal jobs, and having amazing adventures!
Here are some highlights from my travels:
• Appalachian Trail – hiking 2,200 miles across the eastern U.S.
• Te Araroa – walking 3,000 km across New Zealand
• Superior Hiking Trail – backpacking 300 miles through Minnesota
• Milford Sound – spending the winter in Fiordland National Park
• Grand Canyon – a winter hike from the rim to rim and back again
• Tugela Falls – trekking to the second tallest waterfall in the world
• Indian Peaks Wilderness – backpacking through the Colorado Rockies
• Tapuae-o-Uenuku – climbing one of the tallest mountains in New Zealand
• Franconia Ridge – hiking across this iconic section of the AT
• A Summer in Blenheim – working in New Zealand’s wine country
Apart from this site, I have authored articles and video content for sites such as The Trek and Mucky. My video blog for Te Araroa was named one of “the best thru-hiking vlogs” by Outside Magazine. More recently I was featured on VoyageMinnesota. I have also partnered with outdoor brands including the following:
• Hilltop Packs
• FIT Socks
• Abstract Hikes
This site is my way of sharing my adventures with the world. Please feel free to peruse my blog, comment, ask questions, and explore! And don’t forget to check out my store where I feature photos and designs from my thru-hikes.
For a little inspiration, here’s a video of how it all began, when I took a leap of faith and left my 9-to-5 behind: